7-year-old interrogated for 10 hours over missing $5, family outraged

“All right, kid. Start talkin’ or bed time will be a 8 and you won’t watch Honey Boo-Boo and we’ll make you eat your mother’s meat loaf. Now start talkin’, punk!”

This may be outragious behavior, and certainly one that demands explanation and possibly reprimanding — but at least they found out who took the $5.

7-year-old interrogated for 10 hours over missing $5, family outragedCredits:   Photo by D Dipasupil/Getty Images

7-year-old interrogated for 10 hours over missing $5, family outraged
Credits: Photo by D Dipasupil/Getty Images

7-year-old was interrogated for 10 hours according to an article from today at the New York Post. Frances Mendez, says the cops went too far when they handcuffed and interrogated her 7-year-old son, Wilson Reyes for ten hours over a playground dispute involving $5.

“My son was crying, ‘Mommy, it wasn’t me! Mommy, it wasn’t me!’ I never imagined the cops could do that to a child. We’re traumatized,” She said. “Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs! It was horrible. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.”

Wilson Reyes found himself caught up in a dispute over another child’s $5 bill, intended for a field trip that never happened, which fell on the ground in front of Reyes and two other boys. Reyes was falsely accused of stealing the money that another boy had quickly picked up.

A $250 million claim against the city, and the NYPD, says the cops arrived at the school after the incident, handcuffed and held Wilson in a room for four hours, then took him to the 44th Precinct station house. Once there, officers allegedly verbally abused and interrogated the 7-year-old boy for another six hours.

“Reyes was handcuffed and verbally, physically and emotionally abused, intimidated, humiliated, embarrassed and defamed,” the documents say. As if that was not enough, the poor child was then charged with robbery.

Frances Mendez claims when she arrived at the station with her sister, authorities initially refused to let them see her son. When they finally did let her see Reyes, they found the boy handcuffed to a wall. Mendez snapped a photo of the scene with her phone.

The city later dropped the robbery charge against Wilson Reyes, and Inspector Kim Royster said yesterday the story was “grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held in the precinct which was less than half of the time mentioned.”

Wait… “less than half of the time mentioned?” So does Kim Royster feel handcuffing and interrogating a 7-year-old child for three hours is acceptable?

Another child at the school later admitted he was the one who had taken the $5, not Reyes.