Every once in a while a story comes along that shows that not all humanity is lost — despite the fact that women are trying to kill their men with their breasts, or that North Korea has a real hard-on for America right now.
I came across this story when I was looking up dolphin videos with my daughter, and I was compelled to post it, if not for you then to just have it readily available close by so I can watch it again when I need a boost of humanity.
Divers off the coast of Hawaii, known as Big Island, were studying manta rays when one of the divers was approached by a wild bottlenose dolphin, whom had nudged him gently. The diver saw obvious signs that this dolphin was in need of help, with a hook in it’s mouth and fishing line entangled around it’s pectoral fin.
The dolphin was very gentle and calm, but moreover, was completely cooperative with the diver.
“The way he came right up and pushed himself into me, there was no question this dolphin was there for help,” diver Keller Laros said. Several YouTube commenters have praised Laros and his team for their effort.
Laros described how he tried to remove the fishing line: “I was trying to unwrap it, I got the fishing hook out of the pectoral fin. … I was worried if I tugged on it, it might hurt him more.”
The now infamous video below is currently going viral and, at this very moment, has over 450,000 views.
Check out this amazing piece of humanity between strangers and maybe you will see it as I did.
- WATCH: Dolphin ‘Asks’ Divers For Help After Getting Caught In Fishing Line (huffingtonpost.com)
- VIDEO: Dolphin ‘asks divers for help’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Diver saves dolphin: ‘He swam right up to me’ (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Amazing video of dolphin seeking help from scuba divers (americablog.com)
- VIDEO: Dolphin Asks Divers For Help (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- Injured Dolphin Seeks Help from Diver (news.discovery.com)