“The driver had lost a bit of speed as he tried to avoid the moose before hitting the bear,” said Svein Erik Bjorke of the local wildlife authority, who was out in the forest searching for the wounded animal.
“We are currently tracking the bear and we have found traces of blood indicating internal injuries,” he said.
The driver escaped uninjured while his car suffered some damage.
Norway‘s rugged mountains are sparsely populated and full of wildlife. The country, nearly the size of Germany but home to just five million people, has around 100,000 moose and 150 brown bears, authorities said.
- Motorcyclist tells story of hitting two moose (cbc.ca)
- Officer Rescues Moose Stuck in Swingset (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Viral Video: Cop helps moose stuck in swingset (fox13now.com)
- How to Avoid Colliding With a Moose or Deer (amiecauldercisr.wordpress.com)
- Motorist hits bear after avoiding elk (thelocal.no)