Okay, here we are just 4 days into 2008 and the feeling in the air is good, if not somewhat stale from last year’s carwrecks called Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. But with the turning of the tides we can only hope for a fresh start onto a new future, free of Britney and Paris and maybe even Rosie.
There was a life not far from here called “20 years ago” where watching Rosie O’Donnell was a pleasurable experience. She, being the fresh comedian with wonderful insights and hilarious rants about the nothing, was actually attractive and just a welcomed addition to my world of comedy (where only Sam Kinison would be king).
But now, 20 years later, Rosie O’Donnell has turned from one of Time’s 100 Most Influential People to the single Most Annoying Celebrity. And rightfully so. Allow me, if you will, list some of the more influential moments of her career. And remember Rosie has gone from referencing Scooby Doo and the Brady Bunch to saying such unbelievable “facts”:
* Don’t fear the terrorists. They’re mothers and fathers. (November 9, 2007)
* But I do believe the first time in history that fire has ever melted steel. I do believe that it defies physics for the World Trade Center Tower Seven, building seven, which collapsed in on itself, it is impossible for a building to fall the way it fell without explosives being involved, World Trade Center Seven. World Trade Center one and Two got hit by planes. Seven, miraculously, for the first time in history, steel was melted by fire. It is physically impossible. (March 29, 2007)
* Because you don’t think terrorists, you don’t think terrorists- you think that robs them of their humanity. That name “terrorist” makes them not human any more? They don’t. (March 15, 2007)
* I just want to say something. 655,000 Iraqi civilians are dead. Who are the terrorists? (May 17, 2007)
* George Bush is a war criminal. (November 21, 2007)
* You know what concerns me? How many Supreme Court judges are Catholics..Five. How about separation of church and state in America? (April 19, 2007)
* We’ve killed more Americans than any terrorist ever did in this war. (May 1, 2007)
* Bush Outlaws All War Protest In United States (blog). (June 25, 2007)
* But interesting with the British sailors, there were 15 British sailors and Marines who apparently went into Iranian waters and they were seized by the Iranians. And I have one thing to say: Gulf of Tonkin, Google it. Okay. (March 26, 2007)
* ELISABETH HASSELBECK: Do you believe Al Qaeda, do you believe Al Qaeda is alive and working and planning in Iraq? O’DONNELL: Well, I think there might be some guy on dialysis in a cave, but I don’t think he’s really a threat. (May 1, 2007)
Also interesting was what Rosie wouldn’t say:
HASSELBECK: Do you believe there is terrorism? O’DONNELL: I believe in state sponsored terrorism. I believe there is government sponsored terrorism by every nation in the world, including ours. (May 17, 2007)
Wow! And Yikes! And to think, when I originally read the article I was amazed that Paris Hilton didn’t top the list or the more obvious choice of Britney Spears (who by the way made news again today by performing a standoff with the cops regarding her kids. I don’t know I stopped reading the reports by now). But the more I read up on Rosie’s rantings of the ridiculous I was more than positive that she is worthy of the title of “Obnoxious” — I mean, “Annoying”.
But then again, should we be more passionate when after all she is the woman who admitted that she’s so gullible that she’s only five seconds away from joining a cult and announces herself as a 9/11 ‘truther’. Her admissions of gullibleness mixed with rants of mommies and daddies almost reminds me of the fact that she was a comedian and failed talk show host. So what are we really expecting?
But then I remind you that Al Qaeda is not being a threat because they’re mommies and daddies and then I imagine the rows of laughter coming from this one-time funny young woman turned serious talk show ‘truther’. That, to me, is the freshest of them all. I am overly surprised that she has yet to retire to her home and allowed the smoke to clear before opening her mouth for more spoon-fed stupidity. Hasn’t anyone told her what an clown she’s allowed herself to be?
To be the most annoying celebrity could have easily been won by Britney Spears for nothing more than just the fact that her life is a downward spiral but to many there’s a sympathy factor there. However, Paris Hilton has ‘annoying’ written all over her, which, by the way, she came in 2nd place while Ann Coulter came in third.
Rosie had to really work for this award, but I think she won it fair and square.